Support the H-2B Returning Worker Exception Act
Reps. Cuellar (S-TX), Joyce (R-OH) and a bipartisan group of lawmakers just introduced the “H-2B Returning Worker Exception Act,” which would create a permanent H-2B returning worker cap exemption and include some program efficiency and integrity measures. AmericanHort and the H-2B Workforce Coalition have been working with the bill sponsors to create a common sense permanent solution to the H-2B cap issue. We need your help to push for passage of this legislation!
The “H-2B Returning Worker Exception Act of 2021” would do the following:
• Exempt from the 66,000 annual H-2B cap workers who have been admitted to work in the United States on an H-2B visa during one of the past three fiscal years;
• Require the Departments of Labor (DOL), Homeland Security (DHS) and State to create a single on-line filing portal that would eliminate the need to express mail paper documents;
• Require DOL to maintain an online jobs registry;
• Include some program integrity measures and increase the maximum penalties that could be levied against employers who willingly and repeatedly violate the program’s requirements.
• Address misconduct by foreign recruiters and strengthen workers safety standards for H-2B employees while in the United States.
In addition to supporting a permanent legislative solution, AmericanHort and the H-2B Workforce Coalition are also continuing to work with members of the House and Senate Appropriations Committee to include a returning worker exemption in the annual Department of Homeland Security funding bill.
We truly appreciate your taking the time to reach out to and encourage your representatives to support the “H-2B Returning Worker Exception Act" by filling out the form on this page.